According to the Order of the President of Ukraine No.252 on 16.06.2016, the Highest NATIONAL STATUS was awarded to Black Sea State University. After the implementation of the order of the President of Ukraine, the name of Black Sea State University was changed to BLACK SEA NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF PETRO MOHYLA.
University geographically is located in the place where in 1862 by the order of the Emperor Nikolaev port craft school was formed. During that time, educational institutions of various types existed there.
On March 13, 2002 according to the Order №112-r of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine Petro Mohyla Mykolaiv State Humanitarian University was founded on the basis of Mykolaiv branch of National University “Kyiv-Mohyla Academy”.
On December 10, 2008 according to the Order №1521-r of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine Petro Mohyla Mykolaiv State Humanitarian University was reorganized into Petro Mohyla Black Sea State University.
Our University is one of the Oldest Institution of Eastern and Western Europe. Our history starts from October 15, 1615 when the noble woman from Kiev Halshka Hulevychivna gave her estate in Podol, Kiev to the Ukrainian brotherhood to found the monastery, hospital and school. Since then, this day is considered to be the Day of foundation of Kyiv-Mohyla academy.Its rebirth is a part of the Renaissance of Ukrainian culture.
Kyiv-Mohyla Academy, the first university in Eastern Europe, was founded by St. Peter Graves, a prominent figure of the Orthodox Church and reformer of education.
Petro Mohyla (1596-1647) is a prominent religious, cultural and educational activist, one of the founders of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy. In the Renaissance he formed the citizenship status of national languages, cared about education, European level. Mr. Graves activities in the field of education aimed at raising national consciousness.
The Academy received the status of institution in 1658. Many prominent figures of Ukrainian science, culture and religion have graduated from the academy.
Subsequently, in 1817 by the decision of the Holy Synod of the Russian Empire Kiev-Mohyla Academy was closed. In 1819 at the University Kiev Theological Academy was opened which lasted until 1918.
After 1918, Kiev-Mohyla Academy was working as a part of Kiev National University T.Shevchenko. Kiev-Mohyla Academy Nikolaev Branch was given under the Nikolaev National University.
And only after the Independence of Ukraine from USSR in 1991, on September 19, the Head of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine 1991 issued the order “On the revival of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy in its historical territory as University of” Kyiv-Mohyla Academy “(UKMA).”
The official grand opening of the University of “Kyiv-Mohyla Academy” held on August 24, 1992 the Academy has been restored as a secular institution that has become a symbol of the revival of independent Ukraine.
In 1994 the Academy won the title of “National University”. Patron of the National University of “Kyiv-Mohylyanska Academy” is the President of Ukraine.
In the early years of re-opening of the main University in Kiev, the Mykolaev branch was also re established.
The Great professors and Scientists of Ukraine happily joined the University in both cities and now University is the biggest in Ukraine.
we have seen that it is possible to create a Ukrainian university that is open to new developments in Western education. We continue to follow this tradition.
Revival of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy in 1992 brought hope among the patriotically-minded citizens of Ukraine on the establishment of higher educational institutions of a new type. The first years of this university convincingly demonstrated that Ukraine can rapidly create a school that combines the best features of higher education in Soviet times and achievements of leading Western countries. Example of KMA offered hope in the possibility of the creation of new schools in the regions.
At the same time Ukraine’s independence has led to significant changes in the infrastructure of the economy of the Northern Black Sea. The entirely focus on shipbuilding proved insufficient, the region experienced a significant demand for specialists with higher education, especially in the humanitarian area. There was a great need for specialists in economics, foreign languages, law, ecology, political science and computer engineering. Training had to meet modern international standards and carried out state (Ukrainian) language mastery of the full English.
The Mykolaiv branch of NaUKMA appeared in summer 1995 among teachers of Ukrainian State Marine Technical University, felt that only technical education in the region is not enough, despite the fact that there were Pedagogical Institute and the branch of the Kyiv Institute of Culture. Preliminary talks on the establishment of new universities began in August of that year with the Mayor Nikolayev O.Ya.Berdnykovym, Deputy Head A.D.Kovalem, director of the plant. The management of the city, the regional Department of Education and State Administration supported the creation of Mykolaiv branch of National University “Kyiv-Mohyla Academy”.
On August 30-31, 1995 the first official documents appeared: letter signed by the Head of the Department of Education at the time Y.I.Zhuretskoho and deputy head of the city executive committee I.A.Meyzhys to the president of NaUKMA V.S. Bryuhovetskoho as to establishment of a new branch.
Organizing Committee for the opening of new universities was created. It was planned to name it “Academy of Management, Economics and Law.” The committee consisted of volunteer L.P. Klimenko (Chairman), O.P.Meschaninov (deputy chairman) and H.L.Nord, H.V.Kotsyur. Work began with studying the specific staffing needs of enterprises of the city and the region, the availability of human resource capacity of teachers and specialists. Statistical materials were processed.
On October 23, 1995 a meeting between representatives of the city authorities and agencies, press and direct organizers was held. The meeting confirmed the idea of creating new university in Mikolayiv. Its concept, prepared by Professor S.M.Solovyovym, was considered.
The work began with creating the regulatory framework. O.P.Meschaninov developed a business plan, marketing elaboration was developed by H.L.Nord, technical and economic calculations by M.M.Chornyy all work was performed for free, on a voluntary basis. In January-March V.V.Drahomyrov, V.M.Bandura, Yu.A.Batrak, Yu.Yu.Verlanov, A.M. Trunov joined the process.
On January 17, 1996 Academic Council was held in Kyiv Mohyla Academy, where the establishment of Mykolaiv branch was considered. The academic Council unanimously approved a business plan to open a branch and its statute. Based on the decision of the Academic Council of NaUKMA the President issued an order of 17 January 1996 as to the opening of a branch and appointed L.P. Klimenko as Rector. On January 31, Mykolaiv City Council officially registered the new university.
Preparation of the licensing material to the Cabinet of Ministers as to opening a new branch has started. Deans of the faculties Y.A.Batrak and Y.Y.Verlanov, V.V.Dobrovolsky performed the great work. Deputy of Ukraine V.M.Yemelyanov rendered a help in licensing and approval of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine. On June 13, 1996 DAK decided to grant licenses to NaUKMA economics, computer science and ecology with a total set of 175 people.
On July 3, 1996 the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine adopted a resolution № 712 on the establishment of NaUKMA, Mykolaivskiy Board of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy and the development of the regional program “Mykolaivskiy training national cultural complex.” The process of creating an organizational branch was over. On July 14 the introductory test took place.
On August 30 there was opening ceremony of Mykolaiv branch. The Ukrainian Musical Drama Theatre has prepared a special program initiation of the students. The chief director of the theater O.Ihnatyev and its director M.Berson personally conducted and participated in the performance.
During 1996-1998 years it was managed to create conditions for the educational process. There was a repair of the premises, heating system, buying of new furniture for offices and classrooms, the necessary textbooks and manuals. New laboratories of physics, chemistry, and ecology, electrical were created.
The gym was renovated. Three computer labs were equipped with modern equipment. New computers were integrated into the network and connected to Internet. Printing equipment was purchased; editorial and publishing departments were created.
In 2000 the first bachelors of these specialties graduated the Academy:
Intelligent systems of decision making;
This made it possible to pass accreditation of bachelor specialties. In 2001 the first graduates of the above specialties and the other bachelors graduated the Academy. In the same year specialists branch received the accreditation.
On March 13, 2002 the decision of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine № 112-r of 13.03.02. “About creation of Mykolaiv State Humanitarian University of Petro Mohyla” complex of Kiev-Mohyla Academy was issued. After that educational scientific complex “Kiev-Mohyla Academy” was created, according to the agreement between the president of NaUKMA – Bryuhovetskiy V.S . and the rector of Kiev-Mohyla Academy – Klimenko L.P. with approval of the “Regulations of the educational and scientific complex” of Kiev-Mohyla Academy. ”
More and more students and lecturers joined Mykolaiv State Humanitarian University. Among the students were not only representatives of the Black Sea region, and almost all regions of Ukraine and Kyiv. Foreign students joined the university; the departments were headed by Professors and Doctors of Science. They started their own institutions, schools and research centers, specialized in counseling on thesis defense. The pace and scale of MSHU began to outgrow itself. In fact, the University became a multi-faceted. In Humanities University Doctor of Technical Sciences were annually receive patents. In pure humanities in MBSU expanded bachelors and masters in law, finance and credit, ecology, environment and sustainable environmental management, computer science, computer engineering, instrumentation and so on. So logic was the proposal of Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, agreed with Mykolayiv Regional State Administration to change the status MBSU.
On December 10, 2008 under the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine № 1521-r Mykolayiv State Humanitarian University of Petro Mohyla was reorganized into classic Petro Mohyla Black Sea National University.
To provide education that meets the international standards, the university has permanent and strong ties with various international organizations and foreign universities. The University expands the practice of inviting leading foreign scholars to teach in Petro Mohyla Academy and training of our students and teachers in foreign universities.
Organization of student life goes through the government. Student board helps former students to organize life, leisure, solve problems.
The basis of Petro Mohyla Black Sea National University is our national experience, including Peter Graves philosophical concept – an organic combination of scientific and educational activities. The scientific research is carried out by approved Academic Council and Rector approved program.
Despite the youth of our University, our University has become one of the most influential institutions in the Southern region. It is the only one University of Classical Type in the Southern region, which uses widely Western educational technology, and shall be used in conjunction with local traditions (Liberal Arts Education). We try to bring all the new educational technologies and principles of university management into force.